Contact lens wear remains safe and a highly effective form of vision correction. However, with the current health concerns it is extremely important that contact lens wearers remain diligent in practicing proper hygiene when dealing with lenses.
PROPER HAND WASHING IS ESSENTIAL:
- When using contact lenses or spectacles, careful and thorough hand washing with soap and water for 20 seconds, followed by hand drying with paper towel is essential. This should occur before every insertion and removal. Do not use hand sanitizer when dealing with contact lenses.
DISINFECT CONTACT LENSES:
- Contact lens wearers should either dispose of their daily disposable lenses each evening after wear, or regularly disinfect their monthly and two-week lenses according to advice given by their optometrist. It is very important not to store and re-wear your contact lenses past their recommended use.
- Make sure you throw away and replace your contact lens solution every 6 months.
CLEAN CONTACT LENS CASES:
- Make sure you are properly disinfecting your contact lenses by pouring boiling water through the case weekly, after cleaning with CL solution allow them to air dry on a paper towel.
DISCONTINUE LENS WEAR ONLY IF SICK:
- Ceasing contact lens wear when sick is advised, consistent with guidance for other types of illness. If you have sore eyes, red eyes, itchy eyes, or discharge from the eyes or if you are showing any signs of conjunctivitis, discontinue contact lens use. Do not wear contact lenses if you have tested positive for COVID-19.
DISINFECT SPECTACLES AND GLASSES:
- Some viruses such as COVID-19 can remain on hard surfaces for hours to days, which can be transferred to spectacle and contact lens wearer’s fingers and faces. This especially holds true for those who require reading glasses as they may be putting them on and off their face multiple times a day. In addition, this age group generally people over 50 appear to be among the more vulnerable population for developing COVID-19. To clean your glasses use dishwashing soap and warm water or diluted Dettol.
For those unable to come in practice, contact lens orders are available via direct dispatch to all our patients. We are open and always here to help. If you require any more assistance please feel free to call the team here at Beckenham Optometrist on 9918 0616.